First Stage 2020
First Stage is a series of staged rehearsed readings of new short pieces of drama for one to four actors, with an opportunity for audience feedback, to be presented once the lockdown is over (dates and venue to be confirmed).
Scripts (which must adhere to our formatting requirements and include the submission form below) should be e-mailed to email@example.com (we cannot accept scripts by post). Scripts must be received by midnight on Sunday 6th September 2020.
You must be a paid-up WRiTEON Member to submit. There is no additional submission fee. Membership is £20 for the year. Membership runs from 1st January to 31st December so, if you have not joined/renewed your membership since 1st January 2020, you will need to do so. For details of how to join/renew for 2020, by standing order or credit card, go to: http://www.writeon.org.uk/membership/
Our submission criteria is below:
- Scripts must be your own original work.
- Scripts may be for 1, 2, 3 or 4 actors.
- Scripts should be between 5 and 20 minutes long. It is always useful to carefully time your piece, especially if it looks like it might be close to the maximum, as it is easy to underestimate duration.
- Ideally, we are looking for DRAMA (serious or comedy) with credible characters, which tells an interesting story, uses the limitations of time, space, number of actors and simplicity of staging to its advantage, will inspire a director, provide satisfying roles for actors and delight an audience.
- Scripts may be in any style and on any topic you like.
- Ideally your play should only require a simplistic set, e.g. up to 4 chairs and a table.
- Sound and Lighting effects, if used, should be kept simple.
- Writers may submit an extract or the beginning of a longer piece only if it makes sense in isolation and will provide a satisfying experience for an audience.
- Each writer may submit a maximum of two scripts.
- We will not be able to stage musicals, due to WRiTEON’s limited expertise in this area.