First Stage 2021
First Stage is a series of staged rehearsed readings of new short pieces of drama for one to four actors, with an opportunity for audience feedback, to be presented in Spring 2021 (dates and venue to be confirmed). We have had to postpone our planned readings until then, in view of ongoing Government Covid-19 advice, which has meant that many of the potential venues for staging are unfortunately not available. In view of this, we are exploring the possibility of First Stage moving to an outside location next Spring and would invite writers to take this into consideration when penning their plays. It is likely we will have a minimalist setting requiring very few props (think The Woman in Black with two actors sitting on a wicker chest). Creative disciplines can be a writer’s best friend…
We have extended the deadline for Scripts to be received by midnight 31 January 2021.
A big thank you to all who have already submitted!
Scripts (which must adhere to our formatting requirements and include the submission form below) should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (we cannot accept scripts by post).
You must be a paid-up WRiTEON Member to submit. There is no additional submission fee.
If you are already a 2020 member, your membership expires on 31st December, so you either need to submit by 31st December 2020 or re-join between 1st January and the 31st January 2021 deadline. If you are not a 2020 member, you can join now for only £12 and your membership will be valid until December 2021 (yes, 2021)! See our Membership page for details.
Our submission criteria is below:
- Scripts must be your own original work.
- Scripts may be for 1, 2, 3 or 4 actors.
- Scripts should be between 5 and 20 minutes long. It is always useful to carefully time your piece, especially if it looks like it might be close to the maximum, as it is easy to underestimate duration.
- Ideally, we are looking for DRAMA (serious or comedy) with credible characters, which tells an interesting story, uses the limitations of time, space, number of actors and simplicity of staging to its advantage, will inspire a director, provide satisfying roles for actors and delight an audience.
- Scripts may be in any style and on any topic you like.
- Ideally your play should only require a simplistic set, e.g. up to 4 chairs and a table.
- Sound and Lighting effects, if used, should be kept simple.
- Writers may submit an extract or the beginning of a longer piece only if it makes sense in isolation and will provide a satisfying experience for an audience.
- Each writer may submit a maximum of two scripts. Writers who submitted prior to the original September 2021 deadline may submit a further two, if they wish.
- We will not be able to stage musicals, due to WRiTEON’s limited expertise in this area.